We continue today to look after this historic listed building in the centre of the
village so that we can pass it on, in good order, for future generations to enjoy.
St. Margaret's Church is part of the South Wolds group of churches and holds a service
at least every 8th week.
ST MARGARET’S CHURCH
The present church building is probably the fourth to be erected on this site. A
church is first mentioned when Thomas Bratoft was given the living in 1281 following
the death of Alexander Algarkirk with further references in 1337, 1360 and 1375,
John De Grettewell is listed as rector in 1377. When Bishop William Atwood and his
commissioners visited the deaneries in 1517 and 1520 the report in St. Margaret’s
lists the chancel as being in a poor state and the rectory derelict. The church seems
to have recovered from this period of decay in 1560 under the rule of Elizabeth I
and an inventory made of all artifice used by the “Roman church”. These were later
destroyed by burning and breaking up before the parishioners in 1562.
St. Margaret's Church
Graveyard Dig - 2010
In 1840 George Thackeray, cousin to the novelist William Makepeace Thackeray, took
the living of St. Margaret’s and rebuilding the rectory. The family grave can still
be found in the churchyard. The church was rebuilt in its present form in 1895/6
and the tower repaired by the Rev Isaacs and his parishioners in 1937.
For details of services and church events please go to the ‘WHAT’S ON’ page or click
on the link below to read the latest issue of our Parish Magazine
JOHN MARWOOD ~ 01507 578783
BETTY MORTON ~ 01507 578273
(contact Betty for weddings, funerals and church bookings)
COLIN THORNTON ~ 01507 578040
TOWER FUND TOTAL = £8,866
Volunteers took their spades to church to help survey the graveyard and found some interesting gravestones
John Blades was tragically ‘slain’ when his horse spilled a cart load of bricks on him when en route to build ‘The Rookery’.
His third son, John William, was fatally injured when, in 1914, his horse threw him under his cart.